After accidentally shooting a crew member and injuring another, experts have debated whether Alec Baldwin could go to jail.
42-year-old cinematographer Halyna Hutchins passed away on Thursday, October 21, after Baldwin shot with his support weapon during the filming of the 19th century Western film "Rust", without realizing that there was live ammunition inside. The film's director - 48-year-old Joel Souza - was also injured in the incident.
Court records revealed that the actor had the impression that the weapon was completely safe, and in a statement, Baldwin noted that he was "fully cooperating with the police," however experts have since assessed the possibility of whether the 63-year-old will face jail.
According to them, it is unlikely, but it is not entirely impossible, for the actor to face any legal charges.
Senior lecturer at Harvard Law School, Nancy Gertner, stated that "in order for there to be criminal charges, it would really have to be shown that he intentionally killed this woman, which seems impossible for the facts as we know them. ".
However, Matthew Nash, who is a lawyer at the University of Law, stated that a charge of involuntary manslaughter could be a possible sentence against Baldwin.
The charge would be possible if it were proven that the actor had been advised not to shoot with a gun, but then had continued to do so.
Nash said that "under New Mexico law" Baldwin could be found "guilty of involuntary manslaughter", which is an unintentional homicide. "in the murder of the person.
Such an indictment would result in Baldwin facing a maximum sentence of "a $ 5,000 fine" or "an 18-month prison sentence".
Although he may not face criminal charges, Baldwin may face a lawsuit.
Judge Gertner stated:
"Civil liability is different, and it really depends on the facts that we do not know yet. Two questions are: Was there any negligence and who was negligent?"
There is also the question of whether there is a protocol, i.e. handling weapons, that he may have violated or not. Then the question arises as to what the contract was. This would determine who is responsible for what.
Nash noted how Baldwin's role as not only an actor, but also as a producer, could make him "more likely to be liable under civil law for negligence." However, he said how the actor is likely to be covered by insurance.
Baldwin has been questioned by police and he and Rust Movies Productions LLC have stated that they are fully cooperating with the investigation.
Film production has stopped as investigations into the incident continue.
The director, Souza, was released from the hospital after he had to undergo treatment for a shoulder injury, which he suffered during the shooting.
- The husband of the filmmaker accidentally killed by the actor reacts: 'Respect our pain'
- New details from the tragedy in the shooting: The actor was told that the weapon was safe!
- What exactly are 'stage weapons' and how can they cause tragedy?
- Alec Baldwin talks about tragedy: 'There are no words to convey my shock and grief'
- Accidentally kills staff member: Alec Baldwin's post in 2017 goes viral
- Tragedy in shooting: The famous actor shoots 2 staff members
Source: Unilad